Many people who relocate from one state to another have no idea how to transfer their cars and two-wheelers and register them in a new state. People don't commonly move their vehicles, so they are unfamiliar with the process and paperwork needed for an interstate transfer. For the transfer of vehicle registration from one state to another obtaining the No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the RTO where the car is registered and re-registering the vehicle in the state you are transferring to is the most crucial step in the process. Additionally, it should be remembered that the NOC has a deadline for re-registration, failing which you may need to apply for a new NOC or have the validity extended.

Detailed Information on Transfer of Vehicle Registration

The process of vehicle transfer from one state to another may look time consuming and tedious, but if done right and with complete awareness can be done in the ideal amount of time and with ease. You may be extremely annoyed by the initial transfer fees and the registration transfer of your car from one state to another.

It was a hassle to register in your own city, and it will be a nightmare to register in another state. You must be aware of RTO rules and regulations before scheduling your shift and your vehicle. The registration of the vehicle is necessary when:

  • One state to another is involved in the transfer.
  • whether the transfer is a long-term one.
  • if the move is for a period longer than a year.

If you are only temporarily moving, you won't need to re-register your car. Let's examine the vehicle (cars/bikes) registration process in India. But first, a quick explanation of what registration means.

Obtaining An NOC If You Bought Your Vehicle on Loan

You will also need a state transfer No Objection Certificate NOC from the bank if your car or two-wheeler is funded by a bank or another financing institution. You will need to submit an application to the relevant bank along with the necessary supporting documentation, including an address proof, a letter of job transfer (an offer letter or an appointment letter), and other documents the bank may require. Before giving you the letter of approval or the certificate of no objection, the bank will process your request and the credit and finance department will conduct the necessary verification.

First Step: Obtaining a NOC from the RTO Where Your Vehicle is Registered

In accordance with the previous illustration, if you are moving from New Delhi to Bangalore, you must submit Forms 27 and 28 to the regional RTO together with photocopies of the NOC acquired from the bank and other vehicle-related documents like:

  • Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle
  • Car Insurance or Bike Insurance paper
  • Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate/ Emission Test Certificate
  • Genuine chassis imprint of the vehicle
  • 3-4 photocopies of Form 28
  • Application requesting NOC for interstate transfer

You can also submit a NOC from the police to expedite the procedure since the RTO might occasionally provide you with a clearance form that needs to be attested by your city's police department. Additionally, you might need to produce a NOC from the traffic police confirming that you owe nothing for any traffic infractions.

Second Step: Transport Your Vehicle to The New City

Once you have the NOC from the RTO where your two-wheeler or car is currently registered, you can have it shipped by carrier, rail, or, if it's practical for you, you can drive it yourself to the new city.

Third Step: Renewal of the Vehicle's Registration

Once you have finished moving your bike or automobile, you can go to the RTO in the new city to get the vehicle re-registered. To use your car in Karnataka, for instance, you would need a KA registration number if you previously had a DL number. You must submit your application to the Bangalore RTO office along with the following supporting documentation:

  • Form 29 and 30 for re-registration of the vehicle
  • Original Registration Certificate (RC)
  • Copy of the insurance certificate of the vehicle
  • Copy of the NOC obtained from the RTO office where your vehicle was registered earlier.
  • Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate/Emission Test Certificate
  • Chassis Imprint of the vehicle.
  • Local address proof and id proof of the applicant.
  • Applicable charges such as road tax, octroi, and more.

If you are temporarily planning to transfer vehicle registration from one state to another, pre-registration of the vehicle is not necessary. For instance, you do not need to register your vehicle if you plan to travel from Mumbai to New Delhi for a period of 10 to 12 months. For a period of up to a year, you can ride without any problems.

Read More : How to Check Vehicle Owner Details by Registration Number

Recovering Road Tax

You can apply for tax refunds just like with income tax returns. You can apply for road tax refunds if you are currently residing in Bangalore and decide to relocate to Bhopal since the taxes you paid in Bangalore were higher than the taxes in Bhopal. You are entitled to the returns in this situation.

The following documents must be submitted to the RTO, as per RTO rules for vehicle transfer to another state, where your vehicle was previously registered in order to apply for a refund:

  • Application requesting a refund of road tax.
  • RTO Form No.16 (Duly filled and self-attested).
  • The copy of RC with the new registration number.
  • The copy of RC with previous registration number.
  • Insurance policy document with the new vehicle registration number.
  • Proof of address and photo ID.

In conclusion, transferring your vehicle from one state to another is a process that involves navigating a web of rules and regulations set by the Regional Transport Office (RTO). Understanding these guidelines is crucial to ensure a smooth and hassle-free transfer of your vehicle. This article has aimed to shed light on the key aspects of the process, from documentation and forms to taxes and fees, helping you make informed decisions when undertaking an interstate vehicle transfer.

It's essential to stay updated with the latest RTO rules, as they can vary by state and change over time. By adhering to these regulations and completing the necessary paperwork, you can avoid legal complications and enjoy your vehicle without any hindrances in the new state.

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. Can I transfer vehicle registration from one state to another?

Yes, you can transfer your vehicle to another state by following the process listed above.

Q2. How to transfer vehicle registration from one state to another?

You must first get the car deregistered from the state where it was originally registered in order to transfer the registration of the vehicle to another state. Applying for the NOC by submitting RTO Form 28 to the RTO of the original state is the process you must take in order to do this.

Q3. What's the process for moving my NOC from one state to another?

This can be accomplished by paying a little fee to the RTO for the NOC cancellation. You must submit a non-migration certificate and pay a fine if you acquired the NOC from the previous RTO and drove the car in the new state without paying the road tax to the new RTO.

Q4. What's the process for moving my RTO from one state to another?

The RTO in the new state will get in touch with the prior RTO for registration number authentication after receiving the aforementioned documentation. A CRTI will be issued by the old RTO. The refund will be completed within six months of the CRTI being issued.

go to top img

Insurance Companies