One of the most significant documents that you have to carry to drive a vehicle (two-wheeler/ four-wheeler) is the Driving License or DL. A driving license is a legal paper that allows you to drive on Indian roads. In all the 29 Indian states as well as union territories, the driving license is approximately valid for around two decades, or until the license holder becomes 50 years of age. Renewing your driving license after expiry is quite simple, and you will be given a grace period of up to 1 year to renew your license.
According to the Motor Vehicle Act of 1988, it is mandatory for everyone to have a valid and original driving license if they want to hit the road with their vehicles. Therefore, it is mandatory to renew your driving license after its expiry date to continue using your vehicle. You can only use an expired driving license for one month. Then you will have to opt for renewal of your driving license within one year, or else you have to pay the penalty. The renewal charge for your driving license is about Rs 200. However, the fee can differ from one state to another.
What Are The Different Types Of Driving Licenses In India?
There are three types of driving license in India:
- Learner's license
- Permanent license
- Commercial driving license
- The Road Transport Authority, RTA, issues this license to the person before issuing them a permanent driving license. To get a learner's license, you have to pass a computer examination, and the license is valid for six months.
- To get a learner's license, you have to submit valid documents at the RTO.
- In the six month tenure, you have to sharpen your driving skills.
- However, if you are still under-confident about your driving, you can extend your learner's license.
- If the applicant stands up to the eligibility criteria and has completed the learner's license period, the RTA can issue a permanent driving license.
- According to the regulations, you have to be 18 years or older, and you have to pass the driving test.
- However, if you fail the examination, you can reappear within seven days of time.
Commercial Driving License
- This driving license is exclusively issued to all heavy vehicle drivers, including delivery vans and trucks.
- According to the criteria, you have to be 18 years or above (some states may keep 20 years as the minimum age).
- Also, you have to be trained at a government-approved training centre or government-affiliated centre, you should have completed your education till 8th grade, you should have all the valid documents, and already process a learner's license.
Depending on the type of your vehicle, you will be issued a license for it. The eligibility criteria vary for every vehicle.
How Will You Renew Your Driving License Online?
You have to renew your driving license online as soon as it expires to continue driving on public roads. While filling out the application form, you have to provide all the correct information carefully. Also, the documents required during the process have to be original and genuine.
Note: The renewed driving license will stay valid for a shorter period of time as compared to the one that got issued for the first time.
Now go through the process of renewal for an online driving license.
- Visit the official website of the Parivahan board. Here is the link that you can use for the same purpose: https://parivahan.gov.in/.
- Now you have to choose the option “apply online.” You will find this on the left side of the menu.
- Next, click on the option that says “driving license related services.”
- Choose a state where you will be taking the service.
- Now, you will finally reach a new page. Here, you have to click on the option of “Apply Online” and then select the next option of “Services on Driving Licenses.”
- An application form will pop up. Go through the application and the instructions vigilantly before you take the next step. Now, if you are ready, click on next.
- On the application form, carefully fill out personal details like your name, birth date, present license number, pin code, and some other necessary details.
- In the next step, you are required to click upon the “Required Services” tab. This will display all those services that are valid for your driving license. Next, you have to click on “Renewal” on the given set of options.
- Next, you have to fill out other important information about you and your vehicle in the application form.
- You have to upload your latest passport-size photograph and signature.
- Next, you can fix a time-slot for your test if you have any alterations in your medical certificate.
- Once you have completed all these above-mentioned steps, you will reach the Acknowledgment Page, where you can check your application ID. You can save a screenshot. However, it is better if you get it printed. Also, you will receive an SMS update on your registered mobile number.
- The last and final step for renewing your driving license online is to pay the DL renewal charge, which is Rs 200. You can pay through UPI, debit card, or credit card.
In today's fast-paced digital age, renewing your driving license has never been more convenient. With the ease and accessibility of online driving license renewal, the process has been simplified and made hassle-free. Whether you have an expired driver's license or need to complete your driver license renewal, the online platform offers a user-friendly solution. By following the simple steps for online driving license registration, you can swiftly navigate the process and have your renewed license in hand. Embrace the efficiency of technology and bid farewell to the long queues and paperwork. Renew your driving license online today, and get back on the road without any delays.
FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why is it necessary to have a driving license in India?
In high-security places or in examination centres, you may be asked to display your ID. In this case, you can use the driving license as an identity card as it is widely accepted as a personal identification card.
If you wish to drive a vehicle in India or in other countries, you need to have a valid and original driving license. A DL is basically an important document that indicates your ability to operate a motorised vehicle.
Q2. What documents are necessary for online license renewal?
Here are the list of documents that are necessary for online license renewal:
- Digital copy of the original driving license, which is about to expire
- Scanned copy of recent passport size photograph
- Scanned copy of Aadhar card
Q3. Do I need to renew my DL or driving license at the age of 65?
As per the guidelines of the government of India, driving licenses expire at 70. So, after you reach 70, you must renew your DL to continue driving.
Q4. Will you be getting a reminder for the expiry date of your DL?
You may get an SMS from the RTO that will remind you to renew your license before the expiry date.