While buying a new motor vehicle, the owner must insure his vehicle. Car insurance offers financial assistance during an accident or vehicle damage. If you have damaged your car or it has been damaged by a third party, you can claim insurance for the repair works from the company.
What is a Car Insurance Claim?
The report that a policyholder sends to a car insurance company to claim financial compensation to cover damage to his vehicle is a car insurance claim. A car insurance claim can also include the legal representation of the policyholder. A policyholder might ask the insurance company to represent him when he has caused unintentional damage to a third party.
As a policyholder, you have the right to make the Reliance general insurance claim if you are involved in an accident.
In this article, we will be guiding you through the various steps to the Reliance general insurance claim process.
Types of Car Insurance Claims and How to File Them
In Case of Own Car Damage Claim
- Firstly, you have to let the Reliance General Insurance company know about an accident through their toll-free number or email as soon as possible. You have to inform the company within 36 to 48 hours of the damage.
- The next step is to file an FIR with the nearest police station.
- Now fill out a claim form and submit it with all the necessary documents to the company. The Reliance general insurance online claim registration form is available on the website.
- Now the car has to be towed to the nearest workshop to get an estimate of the vehicle damage.
- After that, the company will send a surveyor. He will assess the extent of the damage to your vehicle.
- The surveyor will complete the entire report and send it to Reliance General Insurance. You will also receive a Xerox copy of the report.
- After completing the repair work, you have to send the duly signed repair invoice to the surveyor along with the payment receipt and other documents. The surveyor will, in turn, send it to the insurance company.
- If everything goes right and the documents are correct, the insurance company will offer a Delivery Order or a DO.
- The policyholder can also opt for a cashless claim if the service center has a tie-up with the insurance company.
- If you choose the reimbursement option, you can make the payment for the garage. After that, Reliance General Insurance will refund the amount to your bank account.
For insurance claim for a third-party claim
If you have unintentionally damaged a third-party property or car, you need to follow the steps given below.
- If you were recently involved in an accident, remember to click pictures and videos of the accident site. Note down the details of the third party like the policy details, the name, the vehicle number, and contact details.
- Do not directly communicate with a third party if you receive a legal notice from them.
- First of all, contact your insurance company. You can fill up the reliance car insurance claim form. Do not make any financial commitments before speaking to your insurance company. Also, remember to file an FIR.
- The next step is to submit a copy of the legal notice to your insurer.
- Along with the notice, you also need to submit a photocopy of your RC book, your driving license, and your FIR report.
- The company will verify your documents, legalize the notice and assess the accident condition. If you pass all the tests, Reliance General Insurance will appoint a lawyer for you.
- If the court finds you guilty and directs you to pay for the damages to the third party, the insurance company will pay the dues.
Car Insurance Claims in Case of a Theft
- You need to file an FIR with the nearest police station.
- After receiving the final police report stamped by a court, send a photocopy to your insurance provider.
- Now the company will appoint a private investigator/inspector/surveyor. You need to cooperate with the investigator and share correct information.
- Now you have to wait for the approval of your claim. You can check the Reliance car insurance claim status on the website.
- In the next step, you need to submit the RC book of your car to the insurance company. Now the vehicle's owner's name will be changed to the company's name.
- You have to submit all the documents and the duplicate keys of the car. You also need to submit the subrogation letter. Do not forget to submit notarized indemnity on a stamp paper.
- The policyholder can check Reliance general insurance claim status on the official website.
Once you have submitted all the documents, the company will pay out the money for the reliance car insurance claim. Nowadays, all insurance companies have a knowledgeable customer support system. So, you can communicate with them anytime you have a query regarding the claims.
Q. What is an Insurance Claims Register or ICR?
Ans: An ICR is an online fraud tool that contains all the records of the claims submitted by a policyholder. Reliance General Insurance shares all the claim info with permission from the policyholder. This is done to ensure that there is no chance of double-dipping or fraud.
Q. Do I need to declare my previous insurance claims?
Ans: While claiming car insurance, you have to let the company know about all the accidents. The insurance companies will ask you to declare any accident cases that you were involved with within the past 5 years.